Re: Checking Recursion (was: validator/httpd/cgi-bin check,1.391,1.392)

On Feb 6, 2005, at 6:41, Terje Bless wrote:
> Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> _Private_ HTTP header fields; they're not supposed to be meaningful
> outside of
> the instance where /check is talking to itself. I dunno. The way we're
> using
> them I have few qualms about it.

Would they allow instance B to check instance A, and recursively?
Do we care about such a situation, one way or another?

>> I further think that refusal to check the validator output is a bad
>> idea (we, after all, link to that in the results page), so the default
>> should be to limit two or at least one recursion.
> Well, there's a distinction between what we ship as a default and what
> we
> configure our installation on v.w3.org to do. The default as shipped
> should be
> zero because we want to err on the side of caution, but v.w3.org
> should be
> able to check itself and qa-dev should probably allow infinite
> recursion.

To the points already stated in this discussion, I would add that we
often recommend checking a "local document" to test any local
installation. one recursion thus seems to be a good minimum for every
installation, and, perhaps also a good maximum. I would lean toward
making this a default, and at least hardcoded minimum.