Re: S::P::O and temp files

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:55:43 +0300
To: QA-dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 14:18, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >Now there are two approaches, one is to rely on
> >temporary file names and the other would be to optimize this on systems
> >where reading from <OSFD>s is supported.

"The other" sounds good to me, but I'm obviously somewhat biased :)

>   File::Temp::unlink0($fh, $fh->filename);

A small note: the File::Temp manpage on my system (Perl 5.8.3) says that
this may cause a deferred unlink on some platforms, and that the actual
unlink is done "when the program exits".  This may be a problem in
persistent environments such as mod_perl, since the "programs" run with
it may not exit as expected (ie. AFAIK it is possible they exit only
when/if the Apache process terminates due to MaxRequestsPerChild or
something, not after each served request).

I've personally tried to grow a habit of always avoiding things that are
supposed to happen at program exit (especially in libraries), and being
explicit about such things instead.

Probably not a huge issue as practically the only affected environment
would AFAICT be Windows with mod_perl...