Re: [check] releasing 0.6.5 tomorrow (?)

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 09:56, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> As you may have noticed from the CVS notification system, I've been
> rather active polishing the documentation for the Markup Validator
> today.

The changes in content look mostly good to me.  I've fixed some bugs
here and there, but one biggish one remains: we cannot use 'id="foo"
name="foo"' for <p>, <div>, <hX> etc since the Validator claims to be
XHTML 1.0 Strict (== no "name" attribute for those elements).  There are
quite a few places in the docs and the script output where this breakage
occurs ATM.

> That said, if you think there is any important reason *not to* release,
> please say so rapidly.

The above must definitely be fixed before releasing IMO.

> Ville, I gather you may want to update validator.spec. The syntax is
> not so complicated, but I failed to understand some of its subtleties.

Yeah, it's fairly simple, usually just changing the version numbers and
URLs that point to the tarballs is enough.

The only new thing that needs attention now is that a relative URL is
used to point to /source/, instead of the old "hardcoding" of
v.w.o/source/.  That's not a good thing for local installations, for
example the tarball links will definitely be broken in those.

I'll work around this in the spec now, and will make an educated guess
where the validator tarballs will be available for download when they
are... (hint, hint :)