proposed charter for "help" list

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> While not convinced at first, I now agree to give it a go... And unless
> someone objects, I plan to create it on monday.

I haven't received any comment on the creation of the list itself so I
suppose everyone's fine with it. I'm leaning towards
"public-validation-help" for the name (thought of ...-problems first but
indeed, it's long).

proposed charter follows. Please comment on it as soon as possible.

[[
proposed charter for public-validation-help

people of the Web community to exchange help on validating Web documents
with the W3C Markup[1] and CSS[2] validation services. With time, this
list should mainly become a repository of answers to commonly
encountered validation problems.

[1] http://validator.w3.org/
[2] http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

This is *not* a general mailing-list for help on web design and
development
This is *not* a discussion mailing-list on the development of the
validators. Specific lists (Markup[3], CSS[4]) serve this purpose.
This is *not* a discussion mailing-list on HTML, CSS, or other Web
technologies.

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-css/

Posting criteria:
 - Before posting a request for assistance, be sure to search the list's
archives and check that the answers to your questions have not been
given already.
 - Before posting a request for assistance, be sure to check documents on
the Web discussing common validation problems. We suggest you check out
at least our Help and FAQ document[5], as well as the  Web authoring
FAQ[6]
[5] http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html
[6] http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/
 - Messages asking for help on the validation of a document must be as
clear as possible:
   + Include minimal context and other bits of information you deem
relevant, such as which validator, which mode or options you used
   + If possible, always give the URL for the document you are trying to
validate.
   + Pasting the output of the validator used can be a good idea, but
that output should be trimmed to the relevant minimum.
 - Note that all messages sent to the list will be publicly archived.
 - The usual netiquette and good mailing-list manners apply.

This list relies solely on the good will of volunteer participants. One
should not expect to receive any answer if the above criteria are not
met.
]]

Given the specificity of this list, I am tempted to use archive-approval
system AND moderation, and switch w-v to that too. At least for some
time, while redirecting people to the appropriate list for the relevant
topic. This means, however, that now may not be the best time to create
the list, given that I'll be afk for 9 days... unless I find one or
several co-moderators.