Re: new host server for w.v.o

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:24:40 +0300
To: QA Dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 05:15, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>   # Get rid of (possibly insecure) $PATH.
>   delete $ENV{PATH};
>
> (I believe that Perl is broken in this regard, it seems to attempt to
> open "cmd.exe" directly rather than relying on %ComSpec% which is an
> absolute reference...)

Hm, possibly a stupid question, but do you know why is any "cmd.exe"
needed in the first place?  I thought that when doing a system(),
exec(), open3() and friends with the arguments properly split and passed
in as a list would avoid the need for a shell/command interpreter.  Or
is this different in Windows?

If the ":80 version" already has the IPC::Run stuff in place, could you
try with that instead of IPC::Open3, and see if it works better?  It'll
need commenting out a mod_perl check near the first occurrence of
$HAVE_IPC_RUN, and of course installing it :)