Re: Source Page and Other Validators

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:15:02 +0100 (BST)
To: Saqib Ali <saqib@seagate.com>
Cc: <public-qa-dev@w3.org>

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Saqib Ali wrote:

> Nick,
> Thanks for the email. Just a little bit more information about the
> validator at http://validate.sf.net
> The validator is being primarily implemented for the "Linux Documentation
> Project" (LDP) where authors submit documents using DocBook XML
> v4.1.2/4.2. But I plan to support all the HTML/XHTML DTDs as well.

Yes, I got that from your announcement.

> One thing that is required for LDP is that, the documents can reference
> external entities, using ENTITY or XINCLUDE. So I have to support that
> i.e. be able to validate the master document as well as the external
> entities. So I am working on that. Meanwhile we will support all

Page Valet/mod_validator already validates external entities, but
suppresses messages coming from them (to avoid unduly confusing the
issue for the majority Web-ish users).  All you need is the option
to uncheck this suppression in the Advanced Form.

I think the same is in principle true of the onsgmls-based validators,
with the provisos that you have the extra job of parsing output, and
that its XML support is less complete.

Nick Kew