[checklink] very long checking times - any idea?

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:46:07 +0900
Cc: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
To: public-qa-dev@w3.org

Hi,

I just got reports of "sluggishness" for checklink. I checked, and it
seems indeed like checklink takes > 5 seconds to HEAD each resource.

sample below
[[
HEAD http://www2003.org/  fetched in 5.3s
Checking link http://www.w3.org/Icons/WWW/w3c_home
HEAD http://www.w3.org/Icons/WWW/w3c_home  fetched in 5.0s
Checking link http://www.w3.org/QA/Activity
HEAD http://www.w3.org/QA/Activity  fetched in 5.0s
]]

The server is, however, not awfully overloaded, and although it has
suffered a DOS attack recently, I doubt this is related.

Ville, do you have any idea what could cause this, or any experience of
similar trouble?