Re: [checklink] HTTP basic authentication

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 08:31:08 +0100
To: Ville Skyttš <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Cc: public-qa-dev@w3.org
Le jeu 23/01/2003 ŗ 21:30, Ville Skyttš a ťcrit :
> I just realized that checklink defaults to '\.w3\.org' as the "trusted
> domain" regexp, ie. it's not possible currently to use HTTP basic
> authentication with resources whose uri doesn't match this.  Eek.
>
> Additionally, I think that regexp is not the best possible default.

I agree this is far from ideal, but at the same time, I'm sure we will
hear big complaints if people at W3C aren't able to check their links as
easily as they could previously. One possible solution would be to go
the way you say, but add a GET parameter to specify W3C as a trusted
domain (or specify a regexp as a trusted domain, but that looks more
dangerous to me). We would use this parameter in the comma tools
version.

What do you think?

Dom
W3C/ERCIM