Re: [check][logval] automating validator's testing using logvalidator

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:15:45 -0400
To: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>, public-qa-dev@w3.org

At 12:08 +0900 2002-10-22, Olivier Thereaux wrote:
>Simple (very basic) use of the logval to test the validator would be
>to run both ("should be valid" and "should be invalid") lists
>through it and check "by hand" that the results are correct.
>Refinements could include analysis of the results, diff-ing the
>results for tests run on the prod validator and on the tested
>instance, etc.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>P.S: logvalidator at http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogValidator

I think we'll have to verify and check the test.

A test can be an invalid HTML file or a valid HTML file. So we'll
have correct and incorrect file so this is the association of URIs +
Result which will be meaningful.

	1=Valid				Y= Success
	0=Invalid			N= Failed
	validity	Validator	Passed
  uri1	0  		0		Y
  uri2   1  		1		Y
  uri3	0		1		N
  uri4	1		0		N

This Test suite is crucial for the reliability of the HTML validator
for different reasons:
	People who own website
	TR/ space at W3C, the HTML validator is one of his main tool.

I think a mention, when the validator is released, must be made about
the fact that it has been verified against the Test Suite xxx.

A mini process for TS should be done too. Something light but that
will help to maintain the test files.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/