Re: [logvalidator] Online logvalidator ?

On Saturday, Nov 9, 2002, at 20:33 Asia/Tokyo, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 09:24, Olivier Thereaux wrote:
>
>> The logvalidator is (unfortunately, libwww is a pain sometimes...) not
>> so easy to install,
>
> Hmm, what do you mean?  "perl -MCPAN -e shell", "install LWP" or use
> ppm
> with ActivePerl or use the pre-packaged version from an OS vendor?

Interesting. Being a "download, make, make install" person, I confess
my ignorance about CPAN semi-automated mechanisms. Really interesting,
I should look at this and update the doc.

I also plan to make it CPAN package (I believe it's CPAN compliant, or
almost, already), especially if it helps installation.

> Sounds kind of neat, but I wouldn't feel comfortable uploading my
> server's logs to a public service.

Yes, I understand this. I've been thinking about it, and even though
there would be a few "tricks" to make it look safe (upload via https,
clear statement of our policy, etc), it doesn't look *quite* right.

>> (or maybe I should package libwww and all necessary libs with the
>> logvalidator library...)
>
> Brr...

I meant "make available in the same repository", not in the same
package :)
But that may be pointless anyway.

>> Thoughts? Worth working on?
> Why not, especially because of the "recursive validator" idea.

Given the answers (thanks!), I probably should rather work on the
install documentation and help on a recursive validator.

Thanks.
--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C - QA : http://www.w3.org/QA/
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org