RE: PWETF -- next steps?

I completely agree. PLH recently asked for advice about improving the Guide. Chaals’s recommendation about using W3C tools is perfect for that. Most people don’t even know that tools exist. And, of course, we need to make people aware that the Guide itself exists.

I think it would benefit everyone if we, as a group, put together some recommendations or even a starter kit to help make things positive for new members and new chairs.

Some ideas:

Welcome to W3C/WG email. This needs to be short enough to avoid overwhelming but include some very basic info about the tools that everyone needs to get into their first meeting. How to use IRC, access Webex, email archives, etc. I send a very basic email out when members join DPUB. I cribbed the text from Rob Sanderson, and I’m sure it could stand improvement. There is no reason that this can’t be automated. You can see a sample at [1].

A Buddy System. Assigning new members a buddy to help learn the ropes. I suspect many people would volunteer to be buddies. The AC buddy system has mixed results, largely dependent on the availability of the mentor. I’m sure we will also have mixed results, but PWETF can put together some guidance for mentors. The main idea is that new members have someone to turn to when they encounter something unfamiliar.

What are the tools we use? Can we try to get a list of the tools that people are expected to use? I understand that different groups use different tools, and there is not complete consensus. That is fine. A new member will have no idea what ReSpec is, will be completely cowed by Bikeshed, and will wonder why someone created an acronym as difficult to pronounce as WICG. A list of the tools that MAY be used in WGs would be nice. Most of them have some amount of documentation, so this is really just a list of links, maybe part of the updated Guide.

Tzviya

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2016May/0044.html

Wiki Rule

Tzviya Siegman