Re: [External] My opinions about the future of EPUB 3.2

> On 2 Nov 2018, at 11:38, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org <mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:
>
> We have not defined what it means for an EPUB publication to be  'conformant'. So far, as far as I know, the tool for conformance was epubcheck. We have the liberty to define that.

Just a quick clarification: currently EPUB 3.2 defines two main sets of conformance criteria [1], one for EPUB Publications (section 2.1) and one for EPUB Reading Systems (section 2.2).

EpubCheck's goal is to assert that a Publication conforms to the criteria defined in 2.1, i.e. it will tell if a Publication conforms to the specification . But it will not and cannot say anything about the criteria in 2.2., i.e. if a Reading System conforms to the specification.

Conformance classes, conformance criteria, and the meaning of "implementation" may be redefined if EPUB 3.2 goes in Rec track of course, but I think what is mostly discussed in this thread is testing and conformance of reading systems, which is out of scope for EpubCheck.

Best,
Romain.

[1] https://w3c.github.io/publ-epub-revision/epub32/spec/epub-spec.html#sec-epub-conf <https://w3c.github.io/publ-epub-revision/epub32/spec/epub-spec.html#sec-epub-conf>