Re: Charter Change should not be avoided if needed

Le 06/02/2018 à 12:58, McCloy-Kelley, Liisa a écrit :

> Regarding the SC and Daniel’s earlier comments, I want to point out
> something.  The agreements and discussions from before the merger are
> not gone. There is an agreement between the former IDPF and the W3C that
> is separate from the group charters and that I know all of the former
> board members and the W3C staff intend to honor. Continuing to have some
> sort of steering committee was a part of that as well as finding ways to
> help the former IDPF members find ways to work with and get value from
> the W3C and publishing@w3c efforts. So though I am happy to discuss the
> role and make-up of the SC as well as a revised charter for the BG, I do
> not consider it to be an option to drop the SC.

Let's look at the documents, then. The MoU between IDPF and W3C [1]
states that

   a Steering Committee of the Publishing Business Group (the “Steering
   Committee”) shall be formed within W3C

Item 6.b that governs the creation and mission of the SC does NOT
state that the SC is "empowered to take any action on behalf of the
Publishing BG". That was impossible to add since it would have violated
W3C BG Process.

That said, the Publishing BG Charter is, if I trust the revision log,
last edited by Ralph Swick. And I am rather deeply surprised he did not
react to the severe contradiction with W3C BG Process.

Then the Transitional Publishing Industry Member Agreement [2] states
that

  The Publishing Business Group is governed by the W3C Community and
  Business Group Process

So you're right: the agreement includes a SC. I find it
useless, and to be very clear, a temporary compensation to IDPF
members and board that dissolved into W3C. Keep it if that's the
consensus, but it cannot have a independent decision or veto power,
that's against the Process; and that removes most of its substance.

[1]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2016JulSep/att-0064/Memorandum_of_Understanding_MIT-IDPF_9-28-16.pdf

[2]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2016JulSep/att-0064/TPIAgreement-9-16.pdf