From: eb2mmrt@gmail.com [mailto:eb2mmrt@gmail.com] On Behalf Of MURATA Makoto
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:50 AM
To: W3C Publishing Business Group <public-publishingbg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: ISO/IEC standardization of EPUB: Procedure

If I am not mistaken, there have been some heated discussions

in W3C about the role of community groups in general.

Community groups are not in the World Wide Web Consortium

Process Document (https://www.w3.org/2017/Process-20170301/).

This process document was published only recently but does not

say anything about IDPF or the EPUB 3 Community Group.

Will outputs of the EPUB 3 Community Group have any

official status in W3C?  Certanily, IDPF specs had official

status in IDPF (not in W3C).

Regards,

Makoto

It is not correct to say that an EPUB Accessibility 1.1 or anything else produced by the W3C EPUB 3 Community Group and approved by the W3C Publishing Business Group (such as an EPUB 3.1.1) will “have no official status at W3C’ . And, in the interests of promoting ongoing adoption of EPUB 3 (and after all we are a very long ways from an EPUB 4 W3C Recommendation) I believe it is critical that we treat EPUB 3 (including but not limited to EPUB Accessibility) as living specifications. So I recommend we don’t use phrases like “no official status”. We can say “not developed according to the W3C Process and therefore not a W3C Recommendation”. But that is a very different statement.

Such future EPUB 3 family specifications will not be W3C Recommendations, that is true. But IMO we need to emphasize that the EPUB 3 Community Group is empowered to publish, with approval of PBG, specifications that have no lesser status than IDPF specifications (that were not W3C Recommendations either). That is one reason we have the extra step of voting on approval by the W3C Publishing Business Group which was a stipulation of the combination agreement of IDPF and W3C.

So I recommend that PBG and EPUB3 CG resist the idea that we need to seek ISO TS status for something just because the EPUB 3 CG is not a WG and is not producing Recommendations. If we need ISO TS status in order to achieve specific a11y mandate(s), great let’s do it. But let’s make sure we know what we are specifically going to get by going ISO route that we would not get if we didn’t  (and how long and how much effort it will take us to get there), to just to do it because we don’t think the EPUB 3 CG + PBG imprimatur is sufficient, would seem both a questionable use of scarce resources and more importantly to undermine what we should be doing which is emphasizing that we have, within W3C itself, a process for ongoing development of EPUB 3 family specifications that is no less worthy than that of IDPF (and in some ways may be betters, as the EPUB 3 CG can look at adopting some W3C best practices such as requiring 2 implementations, test suites, etc. before approval).

--Bill