RE: EPUB for Education (EDUPUB) proposal

Perhaps it goes without saying, but I believe that EPUB for Education must conform to the EPUB Accessibility specification 1.0

Best
George

From: Johnson, Rick [mailto:Rick.Johnson@ingramcontent.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 9, 2017 4:04 PM
To: Rachel Comerford <rachel.comerford@macmillan.com>; Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
Cc: Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@gmail.com>; Ric Wright <rkwright@geofx.com>; Garth Conboy <garth@google.com>; W3C Publishing Business Group <public-publishingbg@w3.org>; Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: EPUB for Education (EDUPUB) proposal

Basically, here is where my head is on this:
* We have EPUB 3.1 in the W3C, and a group to maintain it
* We want to have some specific guidance on how to best use EPUB within the ed-tech marketplace
* This guidance should take the form of starting with EPUB 3.1, and figuring out what is the minimum we want to add (we don’t want to create something that will not be maintained, or will fork the work going on with 3.1)
* These additions will come from three areas:
* Specifics around outcome returns, and LTI launches, to be coordinated with IMS
* Specifics around authoring best practices, to be coordinated with BISG
* Specifics around additions to the EPUB 3.1 specification, to be coordinated with the community group at W3C (responsible for epub 3.1 maintenance)
* We need to come up with the list of things that we want to add to 3.1 to create the finalized EPUB for Education specification.

-Rick