Re: Offer letter to TPI Members [15 October 2018]

Audrain, thanks for the remarks.  Responses in-line.

Jeff

On 10/15/2018 10:20 AM, AUDRAIN LUC wrote:

> Dear,
>
> Perhaps I missed something, but I must admit I haven’t seen the PBG SC
> discussions on this proposal.
>
> Sorry to be frank but I don’t think this proposal will improve the
> current state of full membership after TPI.
>
> We are several to think that, with the existing fee amounts, it is
> impossible to increase the number of Full Members among Publishers.
> Except for a handful of very large groups, they are not engaged that
> much in standards to cope with so huge fees. With no visibility on any
> ROI before years, they cannot afford such an amount per year.

These are serious concerns and I think it is great that you are candidly
raising these concerns.  Unfortunately, I don't see any easy answers, so
we also need to proceed to transition TPIs somewhere (in many cases into
the PBG as you point out).

> As, with or without a Publishing Champion, it will fail, the question
> of having a Publishing Champion has also to be raised.

I am trying to address the Champion need.  As I mentioned in a recent
call, a few candidates came forward in August but they were not a good
match.  We are looking for additional candidates.

> The Publishing Business Group can be the global communication and
> sharing instance and we have to push the PBG membership among TPI
> members. But PBG members don’t contribute to standards.
>
> As Publishing is impacted by a limited numbers of W3C Rec, why not a
> “partial” membership limited to that Rec scope for a limited fee?

This was discussed extensively with IDPF in the pre-merger discussions.
On the one hand, from an IDPF point of view it was very logical -
because some IDPF Members were only interested in a limited scope.  On
the other hand, from a W3C point of view it did not work.  Today, many
of our Members have interest in only a limited scope - but pay the
regular membership fee.  We could not fairly create a limited scope
carve out for IDPF - and not make that available for others with
different limited scope interests.

Changing W3C from a "pay once participate everywhere" to "pay per
Working Group" also seems infeasible.

We arrived at a compromise to create a limited scope TPI for two years,
which unfortunately are now coming to an end.

As a result, I don't see an easy fix for this issue.