From: Daniel Appelquist <dan@torgo.com>
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2019 4:47 AM
To: w3c-ac-forum@w3.org
Subject: TAG Has Published "Ethical Web Principles" Finding (and other F2F notes)

Hello A.C.:

Those of you who attended the Quebec City meeting may remember the presentation I gave on the TAG's work and our intention to publish ethical principles. After largely positive feedback received from the community, from A.C. meeting attendees, and subsequently from the A.B., we have progressed this work. At our last TAG face-to-face (hosted by Vivaldi in Reykjavík) we came to consensus to publish these principles as a finding. Hadley Beeman joined me as co-editor on this document, which we have finalized and published yesterday:

https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/ethical-web-principles/

Hadley also wrote a blog post introducing this document and some of the thinking that led to this work.

https://www.w3.org/blog/TAG/2019/05/30/our-ethics-drive-the-architecture-of-the-web/

The intention of this document is to guide our future work, which is one reason I wanted to get it out soon rather than spend years debating the topic. For avoidance of doubt, the TAG is not primarily a philosophical debating house. We spent the bulk of our face-to-face addressing (and closing many) issues that have been brought to the TAG by the web standards community. You can have a look at our full minutes here:

https://github.com/w3ctag/meetings/tree/gh-pages/2019/05-reykjavik

…and our issues list may be found here:

https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues

We also modified our issue raising template to make it clear what the entry criteria for raising a TAG issue are and to differentiate between “review requests” and “dispute resolution” requests.

Also of note, we updated and re-issued the Security & Privacy Self-Review Questionnaire based on the editorial work that has gone on between TAG (Lukasz Olejnik) and the Privacy Interest Group (Jason Novak):

https://www.w3.org/TR/security-privacy-questionnaire/

By the way, I would like to add a note of thanks to Vivaldi for hosting us in Reykjavík and who also facilitated our well-attended developer meet-up, a write-up of which may be found here:

https://vivaldi.com/blog/meet-you-in-reykjavik/

Regards,
Dan