Re: Microsoft's ARIA annotations proposal

I view it as MSFT looking to address the lack of proper integration of annotations into the connection between screen readers (AT devices), OWP content and Web Annots.   I am not thrilled with their proposal – they would be well served to look at how PDF/UA addresses the same issues (albeit from PDF to AT, but the problem is the same).

Leonard

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 3:22 AM
To: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's ARIA annotations proposal

It *could* be seen as complementary. The Web Annotation spec does not include anything on whether the existence, addition, etc, of an annotation modifies the DOM of the annotated content and how. My reading of the proposal is that *if* the DOM is indeed modified then the modifications would include some extra ARIA attributes to help screen readers interpreting the annotations.

But I agree it is a slippery slope…

Ivan