Re: [affordances] Call for Participation: PWG Affordances Task Force

Starting from https://github.com/w3c/wpub/issues/149#issuecomment-369876025 <https://github.com/w3c/wpub/issues/149#issuecomment-369876025> and Benjamin's feedback, I suggest that we first defined the term in our context. And in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordance <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordance>, Gibson's definition is of no real help for us. I personally prefer the information given in the section "As perceived action possibilities" -> those action possibilities that are readily perceivable by an actor.

In a generic way, an entity provides an affordance to an actor. And we are dealing with an actor - the User - and two entities: the User Agent and the Web Publication.
So we get two kinds of affordances:
1/ The User Agent (after having loaded a Web Publication) provides affordances to the User (think about the reader mode in Firefox)
2/ The Web Publication itself provides affordances to the User (think about interactive ebooks)

My take is that our work as a task force is to focus on item 1 = what the User Agent must/should/may present to the User as possible actions (for enjoying a great reading experience).
Would there be a consensus around that interpretation?

Cordialement,

Laurent Le Meur
EDRLab