Re: Like any good software project...

> On Jun 21, 2018, at 22:51, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:01, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com <mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I was not aware of the hard stop in 2020…that does indeed impact things since I do agree with you that we need a good amount of time for actual implementations in CR.
>>
>> Does W3C not allow for extensions to charters/projects?
>
> It does but not always. Things have to be in a good state, ie, clearly on the way of a successful finish. Otherwise it is a struggle. We should not plan for it.

Note that the Process[1] calls for transition to CR (and others) being made based on the maturity of the draft, not based on deadlines. (and the currently slightly ambiguous wording is in the undergoing a rewrite to make that clearer[2]).

This certainly does not prevent us from putting somewhat aggressive deadlines in a charter if we believe they can be met, but that implies that we are expecting to be actively working towards meeting these deadlines, not that it will be OK to publish what we have then as a CR regardless of maturity.

—Florian

[1] https://www.w3.org/2018/Process-20180201/#RecsCR
[2] https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/172