Re: A question on RWPM: why the 'metadata' tag?

Collection level metadata and document level metadata don't conflict (in the Readium Webpub manifest) or better said, will not conflict in the WP manifest, as we has still to define them. To take your example: the progression direction - between pages - is defined at the collection level, whilst the writing mode (in the page) is defined at the document level.
Note: As Jiminy wrote is https://medium.com/@jiminypan/internationalization-and-ebooks-e7b7078ba017 <https://medium.com/@jiminypan/internationalization-and-ebooks-e7b7078ba017>, they are still issues to be solve by CSS on column axis at the document level, or so it seems.

Laurent