From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 11:08 AM
To: Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>, "Ruffilo, Nick" <Nick.Ruffilo@ingramcontent.com>
Cc: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>, Jeff Buehler <jeff.buehler@knowbly.com>, Deborah Kaplan <deborah.kaplan@suberic.net>, Tzviya Siegman <tsiegman@wiley.com>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Continuing discussion on Polyfills

On 6 Feb 2018, at 16:50, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com<mailto:byoung@bigbluehat.com>> wrote:

Nick,

What you've described so far sounds a lot like a static site generator, such as Jekyll: https://jekyllrb.com/

… which we also use for the WG's home page:-)

Authors write simple (stupid) content-centric document (typically Markdown) and organize them into a certain structure and then the tooling does the rest (outputs HTML, adds scripts and polyfills, etc).

One such static site generator that does all kinds of book-ish things is https://www.gitbook.com/

Their tooling is open source https://github.com/GitbookIO/gitbook (Apache License 2.0) and can be used to generate PDFs, EPUBs, sites, etc.

Is what you're proposing essentially this same idea?

While this is indeed important and useful, I am not sure this is a topic of this working group. Just as the EPUB standard does not care whether the content is created on-the-fly somewhere, the same holds for the WP…

Nick,  I think I understand what you mean: the server expands the simple HTML content by adding a reference to a script in the fly. Which is perfectly fine, and may be a good solution for deployment for publishers, but it is again orthogonal to the concerns of this Working Group imho…

Ivan

Cheers,
Benjamin
--