Re: FYI: Vertical reading mode in the Vivaldi browser

> On Feb 3, 2018, at 23:10, Jiminy Panoz <jiminy@chapalpanoz.com> wrote:
>
> As for pagination, we have a huge issue right now in EPUB with vertical writing: there’s nothing in CSS multicol, CSS overflow, etc. to deal with it. I raised this issue through a compat issue to the spec editors (https://github.com/rachelandrew/multicol-wip/issues/5 <https://github.com/rachelandrew/multicol-wip/issues/5>) but is also primarily means this is something for which we’ll have to dedicate efforts.

There is an answer for this in CSS if you implement pagination using actual pages as defined in CSS (which is hard/impossible to do unless you're working on the actual browser engine). If you approximate pages using multicolumn, then indeed, there's no good answer at the moment. But as discussed last time we met, I think we can fix that, without something roughly along the lines of what you brought up in that issue, except cleaned up a bit. I've started writing a proposal about that, and I hope to have enough time to work on it to be able to present it to the CSSWG at the next F2F meeting.

—Florian