From: mteixeira@wwnorton.com
When: 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM July 27, 2017
Subject: W3C PWG Personalization TF
Location: WebEx - See info in invitation body.

Hi all,

Tomorrow is the inaugural call of the Personalization Task Force. Our role is to define personalization in a Web Publication context, and to identify restrictions, use cases, and overlaps between our work and other parts of the specification (and between our work and existing standards). Especially as a newbie, I am looking forward to working with you and gathering your feedback and guidance.

Agenda

  1.  What do we mean by "personalization" and what use cases do we need to consider? [1]

     *   User's customization of the user agent and publication
     *   Author/publisher's customization of the publication and prescriptions to the user agent
     *   (Other avenues for personalization?)
     *   Restrictions to personalization

  1.  Difference between content authoring and user choices
  2.  Where does our work overlap with other WP task forces?
  3.  Where do we intersect with other W3C work?

     *   Assign/forcefully-but-nicely volunteer people for scouting and outreach.

Logistics

IRC: #pwg (barring any objections)

WebEx: W3C PWG Personalization TF

Thursday, July 27, 2017

10:00 am  |  Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00)  |  1 hr

Meeting number (access code): 634 347 893

Meeting password: NxVpjSx6

When it's time, join the meeting<https://wwnorton.webex.com/wwnorton/j.php?MTID=m7bd6e4bc7810baba4fc8c415bcbf089b>.

Join by phone

1-650-429-3300 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)

1-866-469-3239 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)

Global call-in numbers<https://wwnorton.webex.com/wwnorton/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=251197157&tollFree=1>  |  Toll-free calling restrictions<https://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf>

[1] Laurent shared the following existing views on personalization as it is defined in most reading systems today:

- currently, personalization generally includes
* display variants for collections of books (list/mosaic, sort order)
* night mode
* theme
* font size, font, spacing, margin size, text justification,
* appearance of page numbers (or other way of locating the user in the book)
* background and text color
* page animation (turn ...)
* management of bookmarks and annotations

- we will study in the future additional a11y features like
* activation of specific key controls on a desktop app
* activation of vocal controls on a desktop app
* activation of specific displays for cognitive impaired people (incl. dyslexic people), using enriched content

Note that Jiminy Panoz is currently working for EDRLab on a Readium CSS project, which tackles the difficult subject of the differentiation between what the author's CSS will propose and what the user choices will impose, taking into account what the reading app CSS will require (mostly pagination). More on https://github.com/readium/readium-css/issues.