Re: Readium as reference implementation in W3C

Folks,

While this thread is discussing the differences between user-agents and
browsers, I thought it would be of interest to share a little experiment I
did this morning. As I mentioned in NYC (and have done so before) the Test
Suite actually tests the browser in almost half the tests.  As a reading
system (user agent) we (Readium) just delegate content to the browser
engine.  I would argue that in those cases that those obviously are items
not in the DPUB WG purview and can be skipped.

So I went through a spreadsheet we use for recording the results of testing
the Readium Chrome app and the CloudReader.  For each feature which, at
least for Readium, really just tests the browser, I entered a 0 (I.e. fail)
for each test that actually invokes, at least partially, the reading system
I gave a 1 (I.e. pass).  The spreadsheet has a summary at the top.  As you
can see , only 55% of the tests actually test the reading system (less than
half if you exclude accessibility).

Of course, some of this is a judgement call since a RS could presumably
interfere or block the browser from executing in some cases, but, at least
for Readium, this spreadsheet is fairly accurate.

To respond to part of thread below, bear in mind that the Readium
CloudReader (the browser-based version of ReadiumJS) runs in virtually every
browser while there is no requirement that a version of the SDK need use a
specific browser engine, but that is usually dictated by the OS, especially
on mobile.  With Readium-2 the situation is even more fluid.  Point is, we
are probably going to have to carefully weigh these issues on a case by case
basis.

Finally, I could be wrong, but I believe that RMSDK was/is the last known
reading system that DOESNıT use a browser engine.  If someone knows of one
that isnıt I would be curious to hear about it.

Best,
Ric