RE: [admin] merging matt's version?

+1

I would like to merge not because I believe in the infallibility of my
editing skills, but because this PR is more of a general refactoring than a
significant change to what was there before.

We'll continue to make improvements as we go, but I don't want to turn this
PR into a debate over specific issues we know not everyone agrees on yet.

Matt