All you need is URL

From: Romain <rdeltour@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 00:50:40 +0200
To: W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Hi all,

Just a quick clarification on the terms URL, URI, IRI, URN, etc.

Yesterday's call contains the resolution:
> Use URL-s and use IRI/URI when it becomes strictly important

And in previous calls there were statements like:
> a URN is not a URL, but it is a URI

I disagree:

If –as we agreed on yesterday's call– we refer to the URL Standard (published by the WhatWG), then we no longer need to ever use "URI" or "IRI" (*), since this standard obsoletes both terms (defined respectively in RFC3986 and RFC3987) in favor of "URL".

(*) except perhaps in the one non-normative note that would accompany the reference to the URL standard

As for the term "URN", it is rather loosely defined in RFC3986 as:

> The term "Uniform Resource Name" (URN) has been used historically to refer to both URIs under the "urn" scheme [RFC2141], which are required to remain globally unique and persistent even when the resource ceases to exist or becomes unavailable, and to any other URI with the properties of a name.

In any case, a URN like "urn:isbn:9781449329297") **is** a URL.

Finally, note that URL is defined as a "universal identifier". A URL doesn't necessarily represents a fetchable resource.

My 2 standards-nerd cents :-)
Romain.

[URL] https://url.spec.whatwg.org
[RFC3986] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986