Re: [Admin] Re: Why a default reading order?

From: Fabrizio Venerandi <fabrizio.venerandi@quintadicopertina.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 15:00:19 +0200
Cc: Luc Audrain <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
To: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>

> Il giorno 07 ago 2017, alle ore 13:13, Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com> ha scritto:
> include a single content document in the primary resources (reading order), as the "start" of the publication
> list all other resources as secondary resources (useful for rendering the publication, but not in a linear reading order)
> the user would then navigate in the publication using links and they wouldn't be able to "break the navigation" by turning a page to a different resource

Aside the manifest/spine issue, more or less this is what I tried with some ebooks: put the first “page" as linear resource, and all other chapters as non-linear ones.
The problem is that many e-reader applications ‘think’ that only the “default reading order” (the linear=“yes”) is relevant. The non-linear chapters are managed as “pop-up” content with a lot of side effect. My fear is that a “main reading order” notion will be handled has the “only reading order”, and all the secondary resources will be managed as “additional content”, as footnotes and bibliography.

But, before continue talking I’ll follow the Luc and Ivan suggestion, looking fo previous "definition of Web Publication” thread and the github one.

Thank you.

Fabrizio