Re: Why a default reading order?

+1 to Fabrizio's use case of non-linear publications. I think it's very
important since it's pervasive on the web.

Luc wrote

> The possibly of multiple reading order is an interesting use case.
> I don¹t see that having one by default hinder that possibility.

I agree with both, though I understand Fabrizio's point in how the term
"reading order" can be misleading (or perhaps it's "primary resources"
that's misleading; I'm not sure).

Still, I would imagine even a non-linear publication will have some entry
point; for the Wikipedia, https://wikipedia.org,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page etc.

To me it seems like a reading order with 1 item should work and is feasible
to provide even for non-linear publications. For comparison, the web app
manifest separates start_url and scope and some kind of split might be
worth pondering.

A separate topic is the user interface. I think least a few people in the
group hope there will eventually be some kind of native UI for web
publications in browsers. There has already been some discussion on how a
potential native UI will interact with an author-provided UI (even if it's
"just" a polyfill); I have trouble tracking down the various threads or
issues where this came up though.

Best,
Peter.