Re: Identifying a book on the Web today

From: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 06:10:11 +0900
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Baldur Bjarnason <baldur@rebus.foundation>, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>, David Wood <david.wood@ephox.com>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Oops.  I made a big mistake.  Let me try again.

I am talking about both primary and secondary resources within PWPs.
I would like them to be first class citizens of the web.   This allows use
of fragment identifiers, annotations, etc, and  thus provides smooth
transition between PWPs and WPs.

Regards,
Makoto

>> For the time being we are talking about WP-s and not PWP-s (ie, packaging
>> is not yet discussed). WP-s, clearly must be first class citizens on the
>> Web. PWP-s probably, but how packaged are handled may be a different issue.
>>

> I am talking about secondary resources within PWPs.  I would like them to
> be first
> class citizens of the web.   This allows use of fragment identifiers,
> annotations, etc.
>

>> If this is accepted as a desideratum, we will then have to provide a
>> mechanism.
>> I think that a new URL scheme for PWP is a candidate of such a mechanism.
>> Thus, I do not want to shut the door for such a URL scheme.
>>

>> I am not sure I understand how a new URL scheme comes into the picture. I
>> actually do not even understand what you mean by a new URL scheme:
>>
>> - Does it mean that we would have publ://aaa.bbb.ccc ? Ie, we would have
>> to define a new protocol instead of HTTP?
>>

> Yes.  This is orthogonal to locator-independent URLs.
>
> But I do not want to discuss such a scheme now.  I would like to know
> if secondary resources in PWPs should become first-class citizens of
> the Web.  I think that this is crucial for the smooth transition between
> PWPs and WPs.
>
> Regards,
> Makoto

Makoto