Re: Identifying a book on the Web today

From: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 17:43:59 +0200
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Baldur Bjarnason <baldur@rebus.foundation>, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>, David Wood <david.wood@ephox.com>, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>

> When it comes to identifiers:
>
> - We are going to have URLs that function as locators and (if an
> identifier is omitted) serves as an identifier.
>
> - We are going to need a discovery mechanism (almost certainly a link of
> some sort).
>
> - We are going to need to support other identifiers, IRIs generally and
> URN namespaces specifically for ISBN support (without requiring their
> presence, as URLs can function in their place if the author chooses to omit
> one).

 Completely agree that these are the three points that we should be
discussing.

Currently I think that the situation is the following:

   - no consensus on the first point, most of the discussions on Github
   were about that (single vs multiple locators, using a locator as an
   identifier)
   - discovery seems very easy to have a consensus for, we'll just have to
   figure out the context in which discovery can happen (anywhere on the Web
   vs the publication itself)
   - I don't think that we've truly discussed the last point, but I hope
   that we won't have to be too specific (if we can agree that this identifier
   is an IRI and say nothing else, I would be much more comfortable with the
   discussion)