Re: Identifying a book on the Web today

> On 3 Aug 2017, at 05:54, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>
> [Admin comment: if we think this issue is a genuine discussion to have, we should open a github issue, in this case probably at the global level, ie, on publ-wg. Referring back to discussion threads on a mailing list is WAY more difficult later (say, in 2 years) than it is on github, and we will make our life much easier if we do it that way. Baldur, if you agree, adding a new issue would be a good idea, with a cut-and-past of your text.]

I’m not clear on what the division of labour between GitHub issues and the mailing list is supposed to be. The issues are pretty darn inaccessible, often with dozens upon dozens of replies, most of them pretty repetitive. It has honestly become quite intimidating.

The email I sent is a high level overview of the topic (with references, because we aren’t working in a vacuum) and specifically avoids taking sides on implementation issues, so I’m not sure if it fits in with the current style of discussion in the GitHub issues. If you think this belongs on GitHub, point me at the right place and I’ll copy paste my email either as a new issue or as a reply to a pre-existing issue. No problem.

Though, some general guidance on when something should go to GitHub and when it belongs to the mailing list would be very useful.

***

I’m not sure that what I’m arguing in my earlier email is a single issue, specifically. It’s more that it was an attempt to argue that we have four separate issues that we really should be discussing separately and not bundled together. And that one of the issues in this bundle is positively derailing and is a topic we should be avoiding.

This harkens back to Hadrien’s earlier point about how working from high level and vague definitions is more vulnerable to disagreements and derailing than working from a bullet point list of requirements or issues.

When it comes to identifiers:

- We are going to have URLs that function as locators and (if an identifier is omitted) serves as an identifier.

- We are going to need a discovery mechanism (almost certainly a link of some sort).

- We are going to need to support other identifiers, IRIs generally and URN namespaces specifically for ISBN support (without requiring their presence, as URLs can function in their place if the author chooses to omit one).

- We really, really, _really_ shouldn’t be minting new URL schemes, protocols, or registry/redirection mechanisms.

The first three are all separate topics that should be given the attention they need on their own (i.e. they are a bullet point in our list of things to figure out).  They are nuanced—possibly tricky—subjects that we need to clarify to reach consensus. Even my presentation of each issue is up for debate.

But we keep bundling these important topics with a dead-end “let’s reinvent identifiers/build a redirector/create a new addressing scheme” discussion. Which is where this thread was going and where most of our discussions on identifiers seem to head towards both here and in the GitHub issues (AFAICT from my attempts to read through the issues). It muddies the waters for trying to discuss the other identifier issues which are much more manageable on their own.

Hypothetical new variations on PURLs, DOIs, and URI schemes are, I’m pretty confident to state, beyond the scope what this working group can and should be working on. Even if it were in scope, I’d still think we shouldn’t be doing it and should instead leave it to other organisations who are better at this sort of thing (like the IETF).

The only _important_ issue in the email, though, is that I would like us to stop pursuing ideas that are extremely unlikely to happen or, in the unlikely event they do happen, are better handled by other organisations such as the IETF.

Issues like how to locate, dereference, and identify resources in the context of the burgeoning packaging spec is an issue for the packaging spec not for this WG. And that spec, quite rightfully, seems to be heading to the IETF. Which, as you might have guessed from the plurality of IETF documents I referenced in my email, is exactly the group that I think should be working on a format that archives and extends the HTTP protocol. They do HTTP. They do identifiers. They do protocols. They are the proper venue for this sort of invention and innovation.

- best
- Baldur Bjarnason
  baldur@rebus.foundation