Re: review of prov-xml

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 02:16:04 +0000
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: Stephan Zednik <zednis@rpi.edu>, W3C provenance WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks  Stian.
> My preference would be to avoid these since in provdm the prefix should denote a uri.

I would still allow qnames without prefix as xmlns="somethinguseful"
is very commonly used in XML. QNames with unknown prefixes is
(already) not allowed. You suggest we should also require the XML
namespace for identifier qnames to be non-empty - is that true for any
prefix then?

In PROV-N, this is allowed, thanks to IRI_REF allowing empty strings
and relative IRI references. (Perhaps this was not intended?)

document
  default <>
  prefix ex1 <>
  prefix ex2 <../soup#>
  entity(fred)
  entity(ex1:fred)
  entity(ex2:soup)
endDocument

But with your suggestion I can only express ex2:soup in PROV-XML.

As a side note, PROV-N does not define how to resolve relative IRI
references according to the base IRI of the PROV-N. This might be
important to clarify inside bundles.  (I think they should be resolved
according to the document resource's requested/known IRI, not the
bundle's identifier)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science