Re: PROV-ISSUE-553: QNames are too restrictive as identifiers [XML Serialization]

Hi Stephan

thanks for the response, comment below.

On 29/01/2013 17:10, Stephan Zednik wrote:
> Thanks for the response Luc,
>
> The question of whether we want the xml validator to check the validity of the prefix only really came to me when we were doing the analysis and should be discussed by the group.
>
> My opinion is that a well-formed identifier should be required for "scruffy" provenance; I would prefer to not have to fall back to a constraints implementation to test if an identifier value is well-formed.
>
> To me this means that an xml validation of the schema should check the well-formedness of the identifier because validated prov-xml should be considered valid "scruffy" provenance.  I do not know if the group has formally made an decisions about the relationship between xml schema validated prov-xml and validated "scruffy" provenance.  In the case of prefixed identifier values I think checking that the prefix is defined is integral to checking if the identifier is well-formed.  I would like to hear the group's thoughts on this.

I agree that at some point we want to check whether identifiers are
valid. The question is when.
Is it at xml validation time?

In prov-n, the parsing rules do not implement this check. It is left to
"semantic processing" after parsing.
What does turtle do?  Of course, prov-n and turtle are not xml. They may
not give us guidance.

> I would like to add to this week's agenda a quick discussion on whether the xml schema should check the well-formedness of the prov:id value and if testing the validity of a prefix is a requirement for checking the well-formedness of a prefixed identifier value.

Yes, we can straw poll on Thursday.

Luc