Re: prov-aq review for release as working draft (ISSUE-613)

-1

I think there needs to be a discussion on this. I think removing the
suggestion makes it more complicated to implement for someone wanting to
put together a simple provenance service.

However, there are other blocking objections that we need to address first.

Graham and  I need to collect all issues and then prioritise them.

Paul

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2013, at 11:36 , Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> wrote:
>
> > Ivan,
> >
> > On 11/01/2013 12:08, Ivan Herman wrote:
> >> - In 4.2, the text says "according to the following convention" and
> then example uses &target=.... This suggests that the &target=... is the
> usual convention that implementations should use. But this is not the case.
> However, 4.1.1. says that the URI template defines what is used, ie, I can
> have a service using a different convention, say, &resource=.... I believe
> this should be made clearer in the text.
> >
> > Well spotted!  This somewhat reflects an earlier compromise that may now
> be less suitable (if indeed it ever was suitable).  As such, I think it may
> be more than editorial and should be discussed.
> >
> > Originally, the compromise was to "fix" the URI form so it could be used
> directly in simple cases, and to provide the service description and URI
> template to allow a RESTful (HATEAOS)style of interaction.
> >
> > Now that the same link relation is used for both direct-access and
> query-access to provenance, I think the option of short-circuiting the
> HATEAOS interaction of retrieving the service document and using that to
> determine the URI to use for retrieving provenance is no longer sensible.
>  As such, I propose to drop mention of the convention in the text and
> clarify that a client should use the URI template in from the service
> document.
>
> +1
>
> Ivan
>

> > #g
> > --
> >

> ----
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
  Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam