Re: PROV-DC: dct:isVersionOf usage

Hi Daniel, all

Are there objections to making prov:wasRevisionOf a subProperty of
dct:isVersionOf.

>From my perspective, this is a bit disappointing as it makes querying dct
from prov harder. You couldn't query on prov:wasRevisionOf and get
dct:isVersionOf back.

However, I won't object to this change.

Thanks
Paul

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <
soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Here are some examples I found on Sindice of using dct:isVersionOf in
> the style of prov:specializationOf:
>

> http://sindice.com/search?q=&nq=(*%20%3Chttp%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2Fdc%2Fterms%2FisVersionOf%3E%20*)&fq=&interface=advanced
>

> <http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/154/versions/11>
> <http://purl.org/dc/terms/isVersionOf>
> <http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/154> .
>
> <http://www.gyldendal.no/toraage/gullhjelmen/gullhjelmen
> 1.html>
> <http://purl.org/dc/terms/isVersionOf>
> <http://www.akerbaek.no/dramatispersonae/act/bringsværd/gullhjelmen1>
> .
>

> <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/obo/hao.owl#HAO_0000000>
> <http://purl.org/dc/terms/isVersionOf>
> <http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/HAO_000000> .
>

> I would argue none of these are prov:wasRevisionOf
>

> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/developer/formats/rdf says:
>
> A rdfs:isDefinedBy link points from the item of legislation to the
> latest version of the legislation. The latest version has a
> dct:hasVersion pointer to the particular versioned (and dated)
> document, which reciprocates with a dct:isVersionOf property.
>
> <frbr:Expression
> rdf:about="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/sld/2003-04-01">
>   <dct:isVersionOf rdf:resource="
> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67" />
> </frbr:Expression>
>

> So here it is used in a FRBR way to do hierarchical prov:specializationOf.
>

> >From this I would still keep my blocking issue, make
> prov:wasRevisionOf a subproperty of dct:isVersionOf.  You could argue
> that dct:isVersionOf should be a subproperty of prov:specializationOf;
> but I would not go there as that would only apply to cases like the
> above where dct:isVersionOf has been used "proper".
>

> --
> Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
> School of Computer Science
> The University of Manchester

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Web & Media Group | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam