From: Stephan Zednik <zednis2@rpi.edu<mailto:zednis2@rpi.edu>>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:24:23 -0600
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>>
Cc: <public-prov-wg@w3.org<mailto:public-prov-wg@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: PROV-XML staged, ready for review

Thanks Luc,

I will try to write a more formal response to your feedback and create relevant issues in the tracker for proposed changes by EOD of friday.

--Stephan

On Apr 8, 2013, at 4:37 AM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>> wrote:

Hi Stephan, Curt, and Hook,

In the interest of time, I am sending this now. I will scan my copy tomorrow
when I am in the office next.

I like the document. It will make a good specificiation.

We are nearly there. There are a few issues that I would like to see
fixed before publication.

1. A while back, you rightly made the case that elements within a
bundle/document should not be ordered.  However, recently, you
reintroduced a sequence here (probably when trying to fix the jaxb
issue). I don't think it should stay, and it should be reverted back
to a choice: I think the generated jaxb will still be ok.

2. As part of the design section, we should talk about the identifier
conventions, especially, that they go beyond what XML does usually.

  1. All PROV identifiers are expressed as QNames in prov-xml.

  2. PROV mandates that QNames should be mappable to a uri by concatenating
     namespace uri to local name.

  3. Note the restrictive nature of QNames, and some PROV-N identifiers,
     such as ex:001 are not valid QNames.  Hence, from an inter-operability
     viewpoint across representations, implementers should aim to express identifiers
     as valid QNames rather than more permissive QualifiedNames in PROV-N.

3. (A previous comment that was not implemented)

    While the examples probably XML-validate, many of them do not
    satisfy the convention 2.1 above.

   for instance <agend id="ag/> require, either:
    - a default namespace to be defined xmlns=MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "ex.org" claiming to be "http://ex.org"<http://ex.org/>, or
    - a prefix to be added  <agend id="ex:ag/>

   My preference is for the latter option.

   See attached file for all occurrences I have found problematic.

4. (Another comment I had raised)

   I find the use of terms "attribute", "element" and "type" veryconfusing.

   I suggest a systematic replace as follows, to distinguish the prov
   and xml usages of the terms.

   - attribute to become  prov-"attribute" or xml-attribute
   - element to become  prov-"element" or xml-element
   - type to become  prov-"type" or xml-type

   For prov, I would also put them in quote.

   Likewise, see attached file for some occurrences. But systematic
   search is required.

5. At various places, it should be clear that you are borrowing
   prov-dm definitions or figures (of provenance, or components).
   Also the introduction seems to be copied verbatim from prov-dm.

6 Can table 1 contain links to xml schema definitions?

7. I pointed out that usage of "reference" and "relation" was a bit strange..
   For reference, I suggested "denote".

   e.g.   The xml-element prov:activity is used to DENOTE a prov:Activity

   A PROV type attribute RELATION may be inferred ...

   I don't know what RELATION you mean here.

See attached file for typos, and minor issues.

Thanks,
Luc