Re: ISSUE-648: Can schema be made a bit more jaxb friendly?

On Apr 2, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
> Thanks for still looking into a solution for this issue, and summarizing the options.
>
> May I suggest option 1.5.
>
> a) keep use of abstract element and substitution,
>     but in FAQ, add an xml processing step, that inserts all included files in a single one,
>     and replaces the abstract element with the concrete ones.
>
>     With this, you keep the modularity, but offer a JAXB way of handling it.
>
> b) introduce a mechanism to support any non prov element.
>     I am not sure what the right option is.
>
> I think this option is not as radical as your option 1.
>

> An option for xsd:any not discussed yet I think  is to introduce a new element:
>     <prov:others>
>           here, xsd:any non-prov element
>     </prov:others>
>
> Thoughts?

I made this update locally and all our example xml files still validate so we weren't using any non-prov elements at the document or bundle level (just as attributes) in our examples.  I will do a quick check to ensure that all examples in the Note are still valid but they were based on the xml examples in the repository so I expect that to be the case.

I propose we hold a straw poll  by email regarding adopting Luc's suggestions above so I can implement tonight and get the note staged for review (may go to stage early tomorrow morning).

PROPOSED:

a) keep use of abstract element and substitution,
    but in FAQ, add an xml processing step, that inserts all included files in a single one,
    and replaces the abstract element with the concrete ones.

b) introduce a new element:

<prov:others>
          <!-- here, xsd:any non-prov element -->
  </prov:others>

to be implemented as:

<xs:element name="others" type="prov:Others"/>

  <xs:complexType name="Others">
	<xs:sequence>
		<xs:any namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
	</xs:sequence>
  </xs:complexType>

and the prov:others element to be referenced in the document and bundle sequences.

--Stephan