Re: PROV-ISSUE-447: subactivity relation [prov-dm]

Hi Simon,

My view is that this is opening, potentially, a can of worms, for which
there is not enough experience to define a standard solution.

No doubt this is useful, but there is no widespread solution, in the
provenance community,
we can readily leverage and integrate in PROV.

- are there ordering constraints for this relation?
- are there inferences?
      e.g. wasAssociatedWith(a,ag,-) wasSubactivityof(a,b) =>?
wasAssociatedWith(b,ag,-)
- simultaneous generation of an entity by two activities, does this
imply one is subactivity of the other?
- if activities can be related with a subactivity relation, what's the
connection about entities generated/used
   by these and specialization?

My recollection is that we said this was out of scope because the
business processes community
defines such a kind of relation. No need to duplicate efforts.

Stian, Khalid, what's happening in the workflow community on that front?

Potential issues to consider (lots of other references available):
- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-bpelsubproc/
-
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rsysarch/v11/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sa.bpr.doc/topics/t_ovwmdlprocs.html

Luc