Re: Multiple XML schema files for a common target namespace

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:33:16 +0000
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Cc: W3C provenance WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
You are right, this old article shows 3 styles:

http://www.xfront.com/ZeroOneOrManyNamespaces.html#redefine

I guess one question is what we expect to happen if a client parses
something according to "core.xsd", but starts finding say
prov:collection stuff - is he meant to say that is invalid XML, ignore
it, or treat it like other 'additional attributes'?

Note that it is possible in a document to say which schema you have
used using xsi:statements.. like:

<core:document xmlns:core="http://www.example.org/core"
	xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.example.org/core extension.xsd ">

And a good parser would then check against that schema instead - but
of course there could be network issues here.

Another question is if it should be easy to combine multiple
extensions.. I guess that could be desirable, but we probably don't
want to make one master for each combination. (although we could do
one master for 'core' and one for 'everything')

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> wrote:
> Following the teleconference, I did a little digging, and my understanding
> is that it *is* possible to have a schema for a common target namerspace
> build from a number of separate schema files:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#compound-schema
>
> By my reading, what you *cannot* do is have a single schema composed from
> multiple "sub-schema" defining terms in different target namespaces.
>
> #g

Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science
The University of Manchester