Re: Proposal on PROV-DM reorganization

On 21/05/2012 14:29, Paolo Missier wrote:
> - importantly what are these /patterns/?? these have always been constructs,
> relations, etc. Patterns to me are particular compositions of these that are
> designed to achieve a particular effect. I think these are not patterns.

Paolo,

To my mind, that they are more than just constructs, relations, etc. is a key to
understanding how provenance may be approached.  Maybe you don't like the term
"patterns" because it has other software engineering usage?

To my mind, there *are* key patterns/structures that underpin use of most of the
provenance constructs and relations, etc.  Having these structures clearly
presented provides a developer with a mental framework which they can use to
organize the more detailed and specialized constructs as and when they are
required, and also helps them to understand how new specializations can be
introduced for the needs of particular applications.

Thus, I think the core elements do form a pattern in exactly a leading sense
defined by the Oxford dictionary:
"an arrangement or design regularly found in comparable objects: the house had
been built on the usual pattern" -- http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pattern

So I've taken to using the phrase "core patterns" for these because I find it
usefully evocative.  But "core structures" could also work for me.  Maybe
there's some other term that works as well?