Re: generation by two distinct activities?

Hi Tim,

Let me try and explain why I thought the constraint wouldn't be satisfied.

wasGeneratedBy(g1; ex:bottle, ex:manufacturing)
wasGeneratedBy(g2; ex:bottle, ex:purchasing)

I am assuming we can establish the following
(purchasing follows delivery which follows manufacturing)

g1 precedes g2

By definition:
wasGeneratedBy(g2; ex:bottle, ex:purchasing)
implies that ex:bottle didn't exist before g2.

By definition:
wasGeneratedBy(g1; ex:bottle; ex:manufacturing)
implies bottle existed after g1.

In the interval g1,g2, bottle seems to exist and not exist.

What we really want to say is:
wasGeneratedBy(g1; ex:bottle, ex:manufacturing)
wasGeneratedBy(g2; ex:bottle2, ex:purchasing)
alternateOf(ex:bottle2,ex:bottle)
The one you bought is the bottle that was on the shelve.
We can probably say that:
wasDerivedFrom(ex:bottle2,ex:bottle, [prov:type="transportation"])

So, in summary, it is fine to write
wasGeneratedBy(ex:bottle, ex:manufacturing)
wasGeneratedBy(ex:bottle, ex:purchasing)
It simply won't check the constraints.  It is in that sense that I think
it is not "proper" provenance.

Luc