Re: PROV-ISSUE-213 (prov-sem-events): Alignment of events in PROV-DM vs PROV-SEM [Formal Semantics]

This was really an issue with the pre-WD3 semantics, I think (I've updated the target to reflect this).  I took it into account in the WD3 semantics, and I believe it has been addressed, so we should close it and instead raise new issues on the next version of the semantics if there are remaining alignment concerns.

However, though I raised it, it was really Luc's issue so it's up to him if there is something that he thinks hasn't been addressed.  I will close it if there is no further comment by the next meeting.

--James

On May 15, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Timothy Lebo wrote:

> Luc and James,
>
> Is there anything left on this issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> On Jan 31, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Luc Moreau wrote:
>
>> Hi James,
>>
>> Response interleaved.

>>> That seems fine; I am happy to add this.  Will we distinguish between "destruction" events and "change" events?
>>>

>> There is none in the data model. If there is a change, then you can express this as a new entity generation.

>>> I don't understand how this addresses my question, but it seems to be a separate issue from the earlier question of whether to change intervals from pairs of times to pairs of events.  I'm nto sure if it's a problem, so let's backtrack.
>>>
>>> As long as an activity is linked to its creating and ending events in some other way, and likewise for entities and their creating/destroying events, I don't see why we can't use pairs of times instead of pairs of events for intervals.
>>>

>> I think I was trying to make the whole model independent of time, so that we just talk about ordering of events.

>>> You're right, I forgot to be careful about entities having fixed attribute values.
>>>
>>> There's a lot to argue with here.  This example seems to motivate having a single event that "changes" red to blue, rather than two events that simultaneously create entity 2 and destroy entity 1 which we then have to relate somehow.  There is no way to say two events are the same in PROV-DM right now AFAIK.  There is also no way to say two events happen at the same time.  These are (a priori) different statements: just because I stub my toe at the same time as the stock market crashes, does not mean that stubbing my toe and the stock market crashing are the same event.  I think these are all separate issues from the main one under discussion, however.
>>>

>> Currently, I would express the "change" as a derivation between two entities (red entity and blue entity).
>>
>> I also had been thinking that we need a mechanism to say that the generation of the new entity destroys the previous one.
>> I have not seen a use case for generic event equality.
>>
>> I think we should fold this in the discussion for entity destruction.
>>

>>> In any case I plan to align the semantics with recent discussion so that objects' attributes do not vary with time.  Then, value will be a pure function of type Object * Attribute ->  Value, and not depend on events (or times) at all.
>>>
>>> Will that address your concern?
>>>
>> This will address the problem of attributes with fixed values, I believe.
>> Thanks,
>> Luc
>>> --James
>>>

>> --
>> Professor Luc Moreau
>> Electronics and Computer Science   tel:   +44 23 8059 4487
>> University of Southampton          fax:   +44 23 8059 2865
>> Southampton SO17 1BJ               email: l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.