generation by two distinct activities?

From: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:07:08 -0400
To: Provenance Working Group <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
prov-wg,

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still a bit confused.

Can a single entity be generated by two distinct activities?

I think in a distributed world of multiple perspectives, different asserters would look at the same entity and "carve up" activities differently that may not be necessarily the same.

I'm sitting next to a water bottle.
That same water bottle was generated by some activity in a factory, but it was also generated by my activity of driving to Target and handing over a Visa card.
(and I don't care about reducing my bottle into "before I bought" and "after I bought" - I just want one bottle).

Thanks!
Tim