Re: PROV-ISSUE-352 (rename-WasQuotedFrom): A better name for wasQuotedFrom [prov-dm]

From: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 11:30:04 -0400
Cc: Daniel Garijo <dgarijo@delicias.dia.fi.upm.es>, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, Jun Zhao <jun.zhao@zoo.ox.ac.uk>, public-prov-wg@w3.org
To: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Stian,

On May 16, 2012, at 4:02 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu> wrote:
>> "quoted" parallels "taken" conceptually.
>
> or "took", if your mind is implying an agent. In my mind, "quoted" is
> more like "cited", but then I'm not a native English speaker.

I think your "swapped" interpretation is reflected by:

:bible :wasCitedIn :hisSermon .

> We normally consider agents doing quoting than paragraphs.

:bible :wasCitedBy :priest .

Agents aren't involved in prov:wasQuotedFrom, it's between entities (big and small).

> Stian quoted the bible, and so the bible 'was quoted'. "Has this
> document been quoted anywhere?"

:bible :wasQuotedBy :priest .

These are reasonable questions to answer, but it is a "downstream" direction that is dissonant with the "upstream" (backward in time) direction that all of the other properties provide (used, wasGeneratedBy, etc).

>  The "From" is the spanner in the
> works, it tries to change the directionality, and I understand the
> phrase "was quoted from", but when you see it there in the RDF and
> it's not something as easy as a paragraph and a bible, but a blogpost
> and a tweet, then you can't really be sure.
>

>> And breaking the "wasDerivedFrom" pattern seems like a bad idea as we're trying to finish up with a more consistent model, not less.
>
> I agree to not fracture the model. I was just hoping for a small
> modification to clarify the direction, like "wasQuoteFrom". I think
> that is more important than if it is still a quote or not.

:-/

-Tim