Re: [provo] Difference between wasInformedBy and wasStartedByActivity (ttl examples)

wasInformedBy means some entity was generated and passed to the new
activity to use.

wasStartedBy means something started the new activity, by means of an
(possibly implicit) token.

It is not impossible that an activity that is starting a new activity
can also be informing the new activity. In many cases it would be
likely to do so - such as details about what the new activity should
do with what - but there's no requirement for this to be so.

For instance, these details could come from a different activity than
the triggering one:

:lookingInFridge prov:wasStartedBy :findingFoodToEat .

:shopping prov:wasInformedBy :lookingInFridge ;
                prov:wasStartedBy :findingFoodToEat .

However there might be no information passed from :findingFoodToEat to
:shopping - for instance because the shopper was a different agent who
don't know what the hungry agent wanted to eat, but was just told that
"There's nothing but butter and jam in the fridge".

Here the token can be a text message with "Find food!" - but this is
not *used* by :shopping, it just triggers it to start. If you want to
use it, you could go meta-level and see what is the activity of the
agent that reads the message and decide if he should go shopping or
not.

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Jun Zhao <jun.zhao@zoo.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> All good discussions. But how does this update to wasStartedBy will solve
> the confusion we have between wasInformedBy and the future wasStartedBy (the
> old wasStartedByActivity)?
>
> I think I'll continue to be confused which one to chose, with trigger or no
> trigger.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jun
>

> On 09/05/2012 10:42, Luc Moreau wrote:
>>
>> yes, good example, I added it to
>>
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/tip/model/working-copy/wd6-wasStartedBy.html
>>

>> Luc
>>
>> On 05/09/2012 09:50 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

>>> Thanks, this is looking much better and more concise.
>>>
>>> Should we add an example about the optional activity?
>>>

>>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/examples/eg-24-prov-o-html-examples/rdf/create/rdf/property_wasStartedByActivity.ttl
>>>
>>> simplified as PROV-N:
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> In this example, filling fuel was started as a consequence of
>>> observing the low fuel. The trigger entity is unspecified, it could
>>> for instance have been the low fuel warning light, the fuel tank
>>> indicator needle position, or the engine not running properly.
>>>

>>> activity(ex:filling-fuel)
>>> activity(ex:observing-low-fuel)
>>>
>>> agent(ex:driver, [prov:type="prov:Person" %% xsd:QName)
>>> wasAssociatedWith(ex:filling-fuel, ex:driver)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science