Re: specialization/alternate in prov-dm

Hi Luc and all,

I understand that this is call for comments or not for voting.:)

I only looked at section 4.4 in the diff file. I see that you are
adopting the Definitions 13 [1], although I don't recall that as a group
we ever voted on this.

Anyway, personally, I prefer definitions 12 than 13. Def 13 is a bit too
specific to my taste:) For example, the mentioning of life span of a
specialization and a specialized entity. And the mentioning of overlaps
between alternative entities is vague for me. I don't quite understand
what we mean by overlapping, what overlaps, the representation themselves?

Believe me, he last thing I want is to trigger another round of
discussions on this. If I vote, I will vote to have definitions 12 in
the DM for the above reasons.

btw, I didn't find the "mountains" in the diff file. I hope I read the
right doc.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/SpecializationAlternateDefinitions#Definitions_13_.28refinement_of_12.29

Cheers,

Jun

On 08/05/2012 21:09, Luc Moreau wrote:
> I just added 'mountain' as an example of physical thing.
>
> On 08/05/12 16:58, Jim McCusker wrote:
>> Replace building with mountain, I think.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk
>> <mailto:L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> Do you want to suggest an example?
>>

>> Professor Luc Moreau
>> Electronics and Computer Science
>> University of Southampton
>> Southampton SO17 1BJ
>> United Kingdom
>>
>> On 8 May 2012, at 16:48, "Jim McCusker" <mccusj@rpi.edu
>> <mailto:mccusj@rpi.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>> This comment is indirectly derivedFrom this change:
>>>
>>> All of the examples of entities are human-created artifacts.
>>> Should we try to include at least one that wasn't created by a human?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Luc Moreau
>>> <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk <mailto:L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Following resolution [1], the new definitions of
>>> alternate/specialization/entity
>>> have been included in the prov-dm Editor's draft [2].
>>> For a diff of the changes (since last WD) see [3].
>>>
>>> Comments welcome!
>>> Cheers,
>>> Luc
>>>

>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/meeting/2012-05-03#resolution_2
>>> [2]
>>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-dm.html
>>> [3]
>>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/ce56dc32ba1e/model/diff.html
>>>
>>> -- Professor Luc Moreau
>>> Electronics and Computer Science tel: +44 23 8059 4487
>>> <tel:%2B44%2023%208059%204487>
>>> University of Southampton fax: +44 23 8059 2865
>>> <tel:%2B44%2023%208059%202865>
>>> Southampton SO17 1BJ email:
>>> l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk <mailto:l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
>>> United Kingdom http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lavm