Re: Difference between wasInformedBy and wasStartedByActivity

From: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 10:58:04 -0400
Cc: Jun Zhao <jun.zhao@zoo.ox.ac.uk>, public-prov-wg@w3.org
To: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Stian,

On May 3, 2012, at 7:27 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

>> I am confused. Are you talking about wasStartedByActivity or wasInformedBy?
>> I guess you are talking about wasStartedByActivity. And I think this is
>> precisely why Tim is also pushing to keep only one of them in the DM.
>
> A wasInformedBy B says that B used X, wasGeneratedBy A. If we also
> know entity X and how it was used and generated, wasInformedBy is just
> restating that.
>
> A wasStartedByActivity B says that B wasStartedBy X, which
> wasGeneratedBy A. If we also know that entity X and how it started A
> and was generated by B, then wasStartedByActivity is just restating
> that.

I think this is well stated and shows many nice symmetries.
For me, this collapses when I consider all "starters" (your "X") to be "used" (your "X"). Any activity that is started by X also used X to start.
With this view, wasStartedByActivity is a kind of wasInformedBy and
was wasStartedBy is a kind of used.

-Tim