Re: Difference between wasInformedBy and wasStartedByActivity

From: Jun Zhao <jun.zhao@zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 12:42:54 +0100
To: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
CC: public-prov-wg@w3.org

Stian,
>> I am confused. Are you talking about wasStartedByActivity or wasInformedBy?
>> I guess you are talking about wasStartedByActivity. And I think this is
>> precisely why Tim is also pushing to keep only one of them in the DM.

Good try!

> A wasInformedBy B says that B used X, wasGeneratedBy A. If we also
> know entity X and how it was used and generated, wasInformedBy is just
> restating that.

Do you mean to say that

A wasInformedBy B -->

there is an X that wasGeneratedBy B, and used by A

> A wasStartedByActivity B says that B wasStartedBy X, which
> wasGeneratedBy A. If we also know that entity X and how it started A
> and was generated by B, then wasStartedByActivity is just restating
> that.

A wasStartedByActivity B ->

A wasStartedBy X, which wasGeneratedBy B

Although my understanding is that wasStartedByActivity was not meant as
a shortcut, but for cases where X is truly unknown, for expressing
control-flow relationship between activities. This is the 'hidden
trigger' case that Tim said that he might have missed.

cheers,

Jun