[provo] Re: Difference between wasInformedBy and wasStartedByActivity (ttl examples)

Given this discussion below, I had to go again to the definitions and
constraints in prov-dm to remind myself of the difference between
wasInformedBy and wasStartedByActivity.

I didn't follow closely on the email exchange made on the mailing list
in this respect. However, here are my thoughts. Please let me know if
you share the same impression.

* To me wasInformedBy is justified and we should not have trouble in
finding good examples. That said, I don't like the wording of the
definition in the PROV-DM.

In prov-dm, it is stated that:
" A communication implies that activity a2 is dependent on another a1,
by way of some unspecified entity that is generated by a1 and used by a2."

I don't understand why  the entity should be unspecified. I can
understand that it may not be specified. So, I would have prefer a
definition in the following lines:

"A communication implies that activity a2 is dependent on another a1, by
way of some entity, which may not be specified, that is generated by a1
and used by a2."

For illustration purposes, in the example, we should I think be explicit
about the entity in question, so that the user get the semantics of
wasInformedBy.

* Regarding wasStartedByActivity, I don't think its definition is
intuitive, and I am not sure if this relation (property) will be useful
in practice, and even when it is used, I fear that it will be misused.
We used the same example as in the dm, i.e., a workflow triggering a
subworkflow. According to the defintion, for wasStartedByActivity to
hold, an entity that is generated by one activity will start the second
activity, I wonder what would that entity be in the case of workflow
triggering a subworkflow. So I think we should not use this example,
even though it is used in the dm. Another example that we can use is as
follows:

:letterRespection a prov:Activity .
:accidentNotification a prov:Entity .
:accidentNotification prov:wasGeneratedBy :letterReception .

:insurranceClaim a prov:Activity ;
     prov:wasStartedBy :accidentNotification ;
     prov:wasStartedByActivity :letterReception .

What do you think?

khalid